If you have made your mind up to go with alternative or renewable options to fulfill the energy needs of your house then you will need a comprehensive advance planning. There are several steps involved in setting up a solar electrical system for your residence. Let’s briefly look into the planning that goes into successfully shifting your power needs from the grid to solar energy.
Assess Energy Consumption
Before anything, it is important to access the energy consumption of your house round the year. It is better to harmonize the assessment with measures to increase the efficiency of electricity usage. Efficiency measures can be employed by:
· Use of energy-efficient appliances (led light fixtures, air conditioning systems with inverter technology etc)
· Weatherizing the home to reduce the burden on your HVAC system
Estimate the Solar Potential
The next step is to estimate the solar potential of your residential area. The efficiency of photovoltaic hugely depends on the amount of sunlight it gets exposed to. You can use solar mapping services to have a better idea of amount of solar energy available in your neighborhood.
Investigate the Structure of Your House
Aside from the collective solar potential of your area, the structure and setting of your house will also affect the efficiency of solar cells. You must know the surface area of the exterior façade of your house exposed to the sunlight throughout the day. Furthermore, also keep in account the trees in your property and their effect on the solar efficiency.
Also inspect the operational life of the roof of your house before having any solar installations. If the roof needs replacement and remodeling in near future then it is advised to deal with it prior to the installation of any solar panel.
Choosing a Right Solar Option
Once you are done with all the prerequisites for having solar electrical energy as your power source. You have to choose from various solar options available:
· Buying a whole home solar system
· Enrolling in a shared solar program (if you are unable to install a separate solar system for your house)
· Going with a group of your neighbors and other interested parties to have their houses powered with a solarized program (it will reduce the installation costs for you)
· If you are facing budget constraints then you can also go with leasing a solar equipment
· You can also buy renewable electrical energy from solar utility companies
Remember that all these different solar options are not available in all the states.
Picking the Right Service
If you are going to buy a solar electrical system for your residential needs then pick the contractors dealing in solar panels designed on recent technological outline. Also make sure that they are properly credited, have enough experience of the domain and can help you with getting all the necessary permits.
Shifting completely or partially to solar energy is good idea. You will get considerable federal tax relief on purchasing the solar system while contributing to a greener environment.